Philomath, GA (Oglethorpe County) 2007
The historic community of Philomath, once known as Woodstock, has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979.
This church has served under four names and in four counties. Liberty Presbyterian Church was organized in 1788. The original place of worship, a log house, was erected near War Hill, about seven miles from the present site. The church was called "Liberty", because, though built by Presbyterians, all orthodox denominations were allowed to use it. Soon after 1800, the log house was abandoned, and a new structure erected at the top of Starr's Hill on the old Greensboro Post Road, and the name of the church changed to Salem. The building was used until 1834, when the location of the Greensboro road was changed, and a new church was erected at the site of the present Phillips Mills Baptist Church. In 1848, the Salem church building was sold to the Baptists, and the entire Presbyterian membership moved to Woodstock, now Philomath, where the church in the photo had been built.
usageorgiarural georgiahistoric georgiaphilomathoglethorpe countyhistoric churchreligionpresbyterianbaptistfaithcountry churchsmall churchrural churchnational register of historic placesnrhpblack and white