Winder, GA (Barrow County). 2008
A repost of the history, along with a new (digital) photo:
Henry Peskin, a Polish immigrant, came to Winder in 1929. The only Jew in Barrow County at the time, he borrowed $ 500 from the Peoples Bank and opened a clothing store which later became the Peskin Department Store. Peskin was known as a tireless promoter and businessman - one of his many store promotions involved boots frozen in blocks of ice. During WWII, he saw local draftees off with boxes of cigars and heartfelt well-wishes, a tradition that he continued during the Korean War. Peskin also anonymously had food delivered to the poor families during Christmas and Thanksgiving, and funded several kids' college education.
At the peak of the Great Depression, Henry Peskin walked into the Peoples Bank main office in Winder to deposit $4,000 of his money. Due to his reputation as a shrewd businessman, people figured he was too smart to put his money where it wasn’t safe, which immediately boosted the residents' confidence in the bank. As a result, the Peoples Bank was the only bank of five in Winder that survived the Great Depression. It remained the only bank here for 18 years.
The store was sold to Sandy and Florence Schwartz who operated it for 50 years. Florence Schwartz is amazing in her own right - she pursued a college degree one class at a time and received her diploma in 2005, at age 82.
usageorgiasmalltown georgiawinderbarrow countycommercial buildingpeskin co.mural