The Georgia Factory, the oldest mill in the Athens, GA area and possibly one of the first major textile factories in all of Georgia, was established in 1830 and purchased by John R. White in 1837. The original building burned in 1892 and was replaced by the structure seen here. Whitehall Mills went bankrupt in 1929 and later became the Thomas Textile Company, a successful manufacturer children's clothing. Sales started to decline in the mid-80s and the factory closed in 1988. The building were converted into lofts and condos in 1997.