Braselton, GA (Jackson County) June 2008
In 1887, eight-year-old John Oliver started selling things to his father's field hands. His first inventory included a few cans of food, snuff, and rock candy, with a total value of $ 3.50. Eventually, his brothers Green and Henry joined him; being very business savvy and treating everyone with the same kindness and respect, the three brothers' reputation and business grew rapidly and in 1904 they moved into a new brick building, built in five months by S.B. Baker and equipped with modern fixtures and amenities.
The store had three departments: dry goods and shoes; clothing and millinery; and groceries. The brothers would periodically travel to New York and other regions to purchase goods, always paying cash.
Conveniently located at a crossroads and not far from the railroad line in Hoschton, the store prospered and was later passed on to the brothers' sons, however, it fell victim to the modern malls and closed its doors after 103 years of business. Today, it is occupied by an antique shop and the Ceramic Tile Outlet.
usageorgiasmalltown georgiabraseltonjackson countyga 124ga 53commercial buildingbrick buildingmuralbraselton brothersdepartmentstoreroadsigns road highwaysmalltownhistorypride
From Smalltown Georgia