Sandtown, GA (Wilkes County). 2007
Heard's Fort which was located near here was designated the (temporary) Seat of Government for Georgia on February 3, 1780 because of the danger that Augusta, GA might at any time be captured by British forces who were practically in control of the State. The Fort was a stockade built by Stephen Heard about 1774, when he settled in the area. Stephen Heard served as President of the Executive Council of Georgia, February 18, 1780-1781.
usageorgiarural georgiahistoric georgiasandtownwilkes countyga 44heard's fortforestwoodstreesfogwinter
From Rural Georgia