Pomegranate Hall, Sparta, GA (Hancock County). 2008
Pomegranate Hall was built in the 1830s by Judge Nathan Sayre and is located where Elm Street, which runs south from Broad Street, dead-ends on Adams Street. At the time, the house was painted a "monastic brown" which gave it a Mediterranean appearance, and was sitting on several acres of lush land that also contained vineyards.
The house is made of local stone and brick with walls two feet thick. The main (second) floor contained an elaborate entrance hall, two reception rooms on the right and Judge Sayre's extensive library. Features like marble mantles and silver bells and knobs gave it an urban rather than rustic feel. There are many entrances, stairs and cul-de-sacs, and in the back, the house was three stories high. Underneath the front porch is another entrance leading into the ground level. The house has been referred to as a "half house" but it is not clear if it is due to the fact that its entrance is to the side rather than at the center, or if it shared materials such as shutters and doors with the Sayre home in Newark, NJ.
A guest at the house in 1839 described her upstairs room as "delightfully situated; our windows attracted all the breezes and commanded imposing and beautiful views of the whole town and surrounding country".
usageorgiasmalltown georgiaspartahancock countypomegranate hallburned mansionfire damagearchitecture
From This Old House